Come in, look around. Let me know what you think! Comments are always welcome and encouraged.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Going a Little Greener: Handmade Body Lotion

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a recipe for beexwax body lotion. It had been in the back of my mind as something to try for a long time but every time I started to research it on the internet, I found that the ingredients seemed be hard to find items or the directions were complicated and labor intensive. (There is a science behind the emulsification process; getting oil and water to blend. Its just one of the miraculous properties of beeswax but for the sake of your time I won't go into it in this post. You're welcome.) This recipe seemed really easy. Simple ingredients that I actually already had and simple instructions. My sister was on board to be my assistant and with her help, it turned perfect. The first time! Having said that, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Greg for letting me use his blender for my little experiment that, given my clumsiness and my knack for not reading directions thoroughly, could have turned out disastrous. But it didn't.


See how happily surprised Leeanna looks? She can't believe that it actually worked.

This pic is a little out of focus but its more like body butter than lotion

Instead of re-writing all the ingredients and directions on my blog I thought it would be easier to just paste the link right here. If you'd like to try this recipe, all of the ingredients can be found at Mountain Rose Herbs, an award winning company that has great quality organic products, low prices and practice what they preach.

It took maybe 10 minutes total. I added a little bit of sweet orange oil for fragrance and mixed with the heavenly-sweet scent the beeswax already had, it came out smelling like citrus and honey.  It came out thick and smooth and there was enough of it to fill two 8 oz jars. I've already used almost half of it. It works amazingly, specially in this weather. This is something I look forward to making again soon.

4 comments:

  1. Ohh...it's so creamy ....looks like something delish to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I want to try it! I have dry skin and use a lot of lotion every day, especially during the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited to try this! I have made lotion bars and lip balm with success and was looking for something a little lighter for the whole body.
    Body Moisturizing Spray

    ReplyDelete