Come in, look around. Let me know what you think! Comments are always welcome and encouraged.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

the mushroom patch

oh no, it's not cake

I think this is the start of a mushroom
I never met a (edible) mushroom I didn't like. They are delicious, nutritious and can be a great substitute for meat, which I am trying to eat less of. Greg got a little "grow your own" mushroom patch for Christmas last year. They were button mushrooms and it was easy and he got a lot of mushrooms. This year he got a shiitake patch and its growing on our kitchen table. When it comes in the mail you take it out of the box and put it in the fridge for 4 days. Then you soak it in water for 24 hrs. After that you put it in this little tent to keep the humidity high.

You are supposed to get 3 or 4 "flushes"  or rounds of mushrooms which will be a couple pounds total. Its been out of the cold and soaking process for a few days now and it looks like something is happening. You can get all sorts of mushroom growing kits at fungiperfecti.com. Hopefully, in the near future there will be posts with delicious recipes for home-grown mushrooms.

1 comment:

  1. I do not like mushrooms at all but this is so cool! I want to start doing more of this stuff at home, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete