Come in, look around. Let me know what you think! Comments are always welcome and encouraged.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lesson #6: Learn How To Make Fake Honey In Case Your Hives Fail


And then there was one. Yesterday we had to combine the failing hive with the over-achieving one. We put a layer of newspaper down on the open top of the good hive and put the queenless hive on top of that. The idea is the bees will start chewing their way through the paper while slowly getting acclimated to each other. This should keep a bee massacre from happening. Otherwise the healthy hive would see the queenless bees as a threat and kill them. We will be checking in the next few days to see how the introduction has went. Its a fairly common practice in the beekeeping world so I'm trying not to worry about it too much.

On a more positive note We've already learned how to identify and correct this kind of problem-possibly before it becomes dire. A new package of bees has been ordered to be installed in the empty hive and will be picked up at the bar in Waldo on the 28th. I apologize for not getting some more pictures up. I do not have a good camera and have to rely on other people to get the pictures.

Last night I helped Greg make dandelion preserves. He came across a recipe in the New York Times. After spending hours meticulously picking dandelion petals from the green parts, steeping them, straining them, and boiling that down further into a thick syrup, it resulted in a very pretty gold colored jelly. Guess what? It tastes very similar to honey! This is a good recipe to have on hand in case we don't get any real honey this year. It makes a great substitute. What a great way to get rid of those unsightly (personally, I think they are pretty) yellow weeds in your yard.

ps-if you read (even if its just occasionally) my blog and haven't become a follower yet, please do. You will then get email updates every time I post something new and I can keep track of how many followers I have and decide whether its enough to continue the blog. The link should be to the right of this post. Also don't forget to vote in the poll at the top:)

3 comments:

  1. just so people don't think I'm a perv-the last option in the poll is meant to be humorous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erica, we all know you are a perv. That's what I choose because none really apply to me. I not a big cooker/baker (surprise, surprise), I don't like tea, I would never put it on my toast, but I don't think it is gross so to me the logical choice was obviously the bedroom. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...don't stop....I love to read your blogs...you are such a creative writer....your writing matches your personality perfectly...just like listening to you talk....you are always making us laugh and are so well read on your passions...keep it up...please!!!

    ReplyDelete